Tell me what you want...what you really really want


I'm about halfway through my ISLT program (pretty crazy) and so I've started to look at what jobs are out there currently. I'm using sites like Indeed and HigherEdJobs to look for jobs that fit what I'm looking for. But what am I looking for? What do I really really want?

I know that I enjoy working with educators and students. I enjoy creating digital material via web, video and motion graphics. And I enjoy doing the behind-the-scenes pre-production to get a new program off the ground and/or improving existing procedures.

I worry that my knowledge of instructional design will not convey through my applications since most of my work was done before acquiring a degree in ISLT. I have many years developing instructional material, which my previous job titles/descriptions might not necessarily show so I need to make a conscience effort to present my previous work experience in that light. But at the same time, I want to be marketable as someone who has the ability to develop both the front and back end of the instructional design process. I'm rambling, but this is what's going through my brain right now...

In looking at positions that are currently available there is definitely some overlap in job requirements while there are other elements that are unique for each position. Additionally I believe I am qualified for a mid-level position, but I don't know if employers will be willing/able to give me a shot. It's interesting to get back into the job hunt process. Thankfully I have a career right now that is sustainable and I enjoy so there's no immediate rush and I can take my time to choose a position I'm really interested in/qualified for to apply.

What about you? Are you looking for a new job, or are you getting your degree to much up the corporate/academic ladder? What kind of jobs are you looking for? How are you positioning yourself and your work experience to maximize effectiveness? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

  1. Hi! This is always one of the hard things...figuring it out when you transition through career and degree -- I would say that your internship can play a large part in helping you decide what you are interested in.

    I would also add that if you stay in your current job, it helps to continually do projects, take classes, and otherwise get involved with things that are in line what you see yourself doing in the future. It helps you not be at the "beginner" level when breaking into a new field. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia! Thanks for the advice. I definitely plan to continue working on projects/joining groups etc. to hopefully break out of the "beginner" level. And yes, I am definitely looking forward to the internship. Anything that is hands-on and "real world" will definitely be beneficial. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Hey Kyle! Enjoyed your post because I too am searching for potential future jobs. However, at the moment I'm looking for an internship which will hopefully lead to a full-time position. As for what I'm looking for... I enjoy creating instruction (currently at FSU I'm transferring courses from Bb to Canvas), graphic design, and designing interactive multimedia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelli! Thanks for the comment. It sounds like you're already working in an ID field. What's your job title now? And how is the transition from Bb to Canvas going? I hear Canvas is waaaaay better :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts